15 October, 2018

Monday, 15 October 2018

What a day...

I worked on my yard tasks today, in small parts of time, and had to nap two or three times because of it... I am pretty out of shape, I guess... but I hope to finish the curb clean-up and do some more vine cutting tomorrow.

What happened last is what has my mind busy.

I went to watch some news in the early evening and discovered a new movie available on Netflix... it was reported by the News Hour.  I decided to see if I could watch it, and I did.  I guess it is a new release, and it is about the killing of all those kids in Norway awhile back.  The date will now be forever etched in our minds as the title is the date ::  22 July.  I guess that happened way back in 2011.  It seems so long ago, and still memorable.

When I watched it, the title said it was a Netflix original.  It was about 2.5 hours, and very emotional.  I had to take breaks, and I sobbed several times.  I think the part to watch for is near the end, when the main victim of the movie shares his feelings with the killer.  After all the details of the film, it is very moving to hear.

The legal defender's role was very interesting to see... a great portrayal for the film, but I have no idea what really happened.  Public defenders in America... we don't want to start that conversation.  Norway seems to be very different.

I would never say that the crime was justified in any way... I just don't understand the perspectives of people who do these kinds of things, or suicide bombers, or terrorists of any kind.  I didn't like the sentencing at the end.  I suppose this is a spoiler, but maybe not... we know he was put in prison, right.  It seems Norway has solitary confinement as their prison choice.  I consider that to be cruel and unusual punishment for anyone... but I don't know any more about their legal system.  I keep saying that isolation is considered a war crime, so why is it in our prison systems... I'm not sure it helps anyone.

What did frighten me is that they showed a young man who was willing to kill for a cause he could have fought for in legal ways... politically, in writing, in protests, in ways that did not kill innocent people.  Why do they choose this pathway?  I really don't know.

It seems to be a thing called "criminal thinking" - a way of seeing problems and finding solutions.  I think it is peer-motivated, habit, the only thing that seems to work for the moment, and who knows what else.  Long-term consequences seem to be hidden from view, or not considered important enough to change direction.  It is hard to unlearn.

It is also scary that the movie shared there are hidden groups of these people all over the world, thinking (like Hitler) that they are better than other human beings so they are justified in their actions.  I guess this is the same thought process for the terrorists that attacked us on 9/11....  What do they say to attract our children?  How do they convince them to join their ranks?  It is frightening.

It is hard to imagine people we love becoming that lost... or a future of so much hatred... of losing people to violence that is political in nature... or how to stop it.


In checking for the link to PBS, I remembered another good thing I saw today.  You might want to see their segment called "In My Humble Opinion" for today... it was good.

Until next time,
In Christ,

Deborah Martin

work2gather.us
Working Together Inc
Building for the End Times

*
*
*
May GOD help us to find a better future.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.