26 October, 2018

For this WEEK, Friday, 26 October 2018

It has been a L-O-N-G week...  some good, some bad... and now it is Friday.  I decided I better write something before I forget all the details.

MONDAY was most of the ivy project getting done... and the last part of it was done on Thursday morning before the rains started.  I was exhausted by Monday's effort... but I had to go to the Farmer's Market on Tuesday, which was way too much for me.  I didn't do much on Wednesday... slept a lot.

Tuesday I tried to do as much as I could because I hadn't been out on my own for so long.  I made it to the Salvation Army Thrift Store with my 50% off paper coupon.  I spent less than $10 on a variety of things, but no jeans were found.

I found a Christian CD there and discovered it had the song LISTEN TO OUR HEARTS on it, by Geoff Moore... I have had it playing on repeat since Wednesday, and still find it moves me to worship because of the words and melody.  It has been a great renewal for my soul, especially the words "Thank you for the Life.  Thank you for the Truth.  Thank you for the Way."  Actually, I worshipped through the WHOLE song in the beginning of listening to it, but now I just enjoy the melody and message, with sporadic worship moments.  I don't know how much longer I will play this song, but it is hard to think of not listening to it.  I guess I am "refilling" my spiritual tank.

I would have liked to buy more at the thrift store, but I had to limit myself.  I found a slightly bigger cast iron pan for my kitchen so I decided to get it.  I hope it is a good pan.  It has a number 5 in a circle on the bottom... no brand name though.  It seems to be in great condition... I haven't used it yet.  It will be a good size for smaller meals.

For my cookbook this trip I decided on a Rocco DiSpirito flip book on lesser calories at home and on the go.  It should be good.  I have only browsed it so far.  He looks pretty young, so it is probably an older book... well, I looked... not that old... 2011.  Hope he doesn't mind the comments.  :-)

I got a compilation book on spiritual issues... Christian, I hope.  :-)

And I was delighted to find a VHS of Remember the Titans... which I watched to check its condition, and was so great to see it without commercials.  I looked for a decent link to share, but I couldn't find one... I guess one of the riveting scenes for me is when black Denzel confronts white assistant coach with the fact that he only coddles the black kids in practices... the assistant coach's thought process was caught so well... it really amazed me they could capture that "moment" of self-discovery.  The process of the white team leader/captain was longer, but just as interesting.  I remember some of those rough days, but I lived on the west coast, not in the heart of the struggle...the south.

I love shopping at the thrift store...  but it was too long of a day for me.  I had to recover on Wednesday, and Thursday (after I finished the last of my yard project).  I may still be recovering... but I feel better than Tuesday and Wednesday.

Next summer... smaller projects with less labor involved!!  Yes!

I bought some strange green leaves at the Farmer's Market from Udan Farms... They seemed a lot like cabbage leaves so I used them like cabbage leaves... to make some "cabbage rolls" -- I did put some shredded cabbage in the filling, so the title still works, but it isn't what people know as a cabbage roll.  I have never made them before, but I have wanted to for a long time.  These turned out pretty good... I will repeat the effort in the future.

I put some in the freezer to see how they cook after being frozen.  For my filling I used grated carrot and potato with diced onions and a mini red pepper for some color.  I made rice for the filling because I am under the impression that fillings for anything have rice in them.  :-)   (Stuffed peppers are on my recipe goal list, too.)  The only problem was I didn't have enough flavor in the stuffing/filling.  Next time I will figure out the flavorings.

The leaves got slightly cooked in water that boiled (eventually) so they would be soft and pliable.  The size I cut them down to worked really great.  I am happy it all turned out so good.  I cooked five of them in my toaster oven for one hour, with a sweet potato that I had to save for later.  Three were enough for me to be filled, but I later ate the other two and was stuffed.  Nice to know.

Changing to more fresh veggies in my diet is a big thing for me.  I struggle sometimes when I want chicken or something particular, but I am also cutting up veggies and just eating them more, also cooking individual fresh veggies (like carrots and beets) and eating them without making a stir-fry or some kind of mixture.  More fresh cooked than cans.

I am finding more kinds of "dips" to use with my fresh veggies... like various types of hummus and beans and salsas.  This is my cream cheese challenge... I have always eaten everything with a cream cheese dip that I grew up with... and LOVE.  When my "ration" of cream cheese for the month is gone, I am forcing myself to find other things to use.

I am pretty much done with my budget for this month... so I am working through the rest of the month now...  the days seem like weeks sometimes, but I am fine... I have food, but not always the food I want to eat.  My back-up options are getting better again.  We'll have to see where they are when next month's budget comes up.

My art has gone by the wayside this week... no energy or enthusiasm for it.  I will try to do some over the weekend... I am working on some ideas for Christmas gifts.   :-)

Only four more monthly letters left for October... that is good... I expect to get them done this weekend, too.

I was sharing in one of the letters I wrote today about a statement I read in one of the Evan Carmichael (.com) emails I get.  It was very thought-provoking...

"... you will be the result of your five closest friends."


It is referring to the great influence people have on us... and how careful we need to be about who we let into that "inner circle."

I printed the email to send to one of my sons in jail/prison... he is trying to find his way to the future... and change is hard when you have mostly known the correction systems... addictions... and poverty.  I wish I could have done more to help him... it is one of those domino effects of poverty and lack of education and addictions and personality and other things we face as a nation and as a world.

The legalization of marijuana is not going to make it all go away...  it will just destroy more people.



Well... that's about all I can write today.
I hope you have a great weekend, and find the center of your life is GOD, salvation through Christ, and a new future.  If you can find the song by Geoff Moore it will help you understand the meaning GOD brings to our lives.  I wish I could find the words that would share what He has done in my life... I am trying.

Until next time,
In Christ,

Deborah Martin

work2gather.us
Working Together Inc
Building for the End Times

*
*
*
May our hearts speak only good things,
and help others to find the meaning of our joy in Christ,
our faith in GOD, and our dependence on the Holy Spirit.
Thank you, Lord, for all that you have done in my life.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.