11 March, 2024

It's getting harder to comment on news videos.

Tonight, I tried to comment at a PBS NewsHour video.  It was about the economy, how the government says everything is fine, but people don't feel like it's fine.

https://youtu.be/UoQYV9Ct4T0?si=eH3rIAU_eNbpHep0

This isn't the first time I have wanted to comment on a news video but there hasn't been any way to reach them.  This time I had to search and search and search for any way to reach either PBS or the source of the video within the news organization.  Over the several times I tried to reach sources of news videos, I sometimes found a way, most of the time I gave up.  I know it is a hard job to follow comments, but it seems especially important for news sources.

This time I may write a letter just to make sure they hear what I feel is very important for them to hear.  I hope I can maintain the enthusiasm I had for my comment when I first watched the video.  

Then there is the war between the liberal news and anything conservative.  I doubt they will hear my opinion anyway.

How can anyone say the economy is doing well?  We are printing money for everything we do.  Printing money causes inflation.  Getting loans is a form of printing money.  Credit cards are a form of printing money.  The GDP, which is the current measure of fiscal health for the government, is based on people spending money.  I don't see any of these measurements as being good ways to say the economy is doing well -- do you?

More important is hearing views that differ from you.  The other views allow you to see a problem in a way you might never consider.  It really is a complicated and hard problem to solve.  No one knows everything.  We all see events through our personal history.  Our lives dictate our interpretation of everything.  What we think may be the TRUTH might not be the whole truth.

This is another reason comments are so important to allow.  In an internet environment, comments are the form of communication between a source of information and the reader, video maker, and viewer.  Valid disagreements need to be heard.

I don't know why news sources are turning their comments off.  I suspect it has something to do with the election, with a dislike for opposition, with data storage, with the connection between comments and the perceived value of any online news item, and more.  We also have problems with people downloading and editing materials that are online.

I don't know how we will be able to trust anything online until we solve the problems hackers and criminals bring into the process.


If you have the answer, please let me know!

In Christ,

Deborah Martin














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.