29 August, 2024

What I discovered today.


News.  I find it's a mixed "blessing."  Since the Democratic Convention I haven't watched a lot.  I noticed the "headlines" at YouTube and haven't wanted to hear the liberal themes.

The media has been pushing Harris pretty hard.  One "poll" result I found said she was ahead by the margin of error percentage.  That is amusing.  I wondered if they used the margin amount for her and the non-margin amount for Trump.  

It is a very sad topic for me... the media and our information sources.    

I studied Journalism in college because I wanted to write.  Not writing you would do with an English major, which I would think was books.  I am really bad at grammar.  I have never been able to overcome this problem.  I didn't pass a required test the first time, and I lived in fear of taking it again.  You couldn't continue in Journalism if you didn't pass it in two tries.

I wanted to do more magazine style writing, so that made Journalism as a major the best option for me.  Then LIFE happened, again.

I think the integrity of Journalism has always been an issue.  We depend on our information sources.  It use to be the media was our watchdog, protecting us from the government and from criminals.

I grew up with news personas that had large reputations.  It's hard to remember names.  I was more interested in the news when I wanted to watch it.

I wasn't political or discerning about truth and media issues when I was young.  I formed my current opinions over the years of my life by seeing how topics I knew about were handled.  

We all know that our world has changed.  We are not the same people or nation we once were.  Our media sources have also changed.

I don't think I have missed a lot.  I check the descriptions of some of the YouTube news channels to avoid the bias.  I haven't chosen to watch too many of the stories listed.

I have found other videos to view.  One I discovered today was about a private corporation using Eminent Domain to legally take the land of farmers from Missouri eastward.  It seems they want to build power lines.

Later I watched a "Yanasa TV" YouTube channel video about Eminent Domain being used by the government to take more small farm lands for water issues.

I think it is a warning bell for all of us.


This week I have been discovering clay and pottery videos.  I never realized the small and the big of making pottery - globally.  It is so amazing what we can discover at YouTube.  Food channels, art channels, pottery channels, from people everywhere.  I wish I could do all these things right now, but I am not young enough anymore.  I also need my own property to do both personal and business goals.  If I won a BIG lottery prize, I would try to finish all the things I have wanted to do over my life.  It's a very long list.


Lots of food issues today.  I am going to try to make it to September using what I have right now -- my back-up foods, my garden foods, my regular foods.  Figuring out what to make has been quite a challenge.  The side-effect of being ill and recovering, too weak to walk to the store or even get a ride, then the challenge to make it through... this is what I am doing this month.  It has been helping me with making menus.

I tend to start each day asking myself what I have to eat first, so I don't have to waste any food.  I still do that, but I am more focused with my challenge.  I am using up foods I need to go through and replace, getting more organized, and trying to make a list of what I will need to buy in September to get my pantry back in shape.  It's a good thing if you look at it that way.

I find that aging is changing a lot of my food options.  It's hard to change.  This will let me rethink my food choices.  

The last time I did this, I ended up spending way too much the next month.  I MUST NOT DO THAT AGAIN!  This is why my shopping list is so important.


I am beginning to feel better.  September may be a great month for me.  I hope so.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.