13 May, 2024

How do we disagree without violence?


I got a new library card last week and came home with 12 DVDs to watch.  They were mostly documentaries.  

One was from Prager U - called SAFE SPACES.  It came out in 2020 but I was never able to see it.  I grabbed it up when I found it at the library.

I plan to watch it again to see more of the details, but I have to say I was shocked by the examples they shared about reactions to simply speaking on college campuses.  

I wanted to go to college since I was a teen.  It took me many years to start the process, and I never made it to an official graduation.  I kept trying, but never found my way to the end.  I have about three of the four years done.  I'm not sure I could remember what I learned in all those classes after all this time.  I think it was around 1980 that I left the University of Oregon, but I did try again in about 2004 at Portland State University - one term.

I wanted to share that to let you know I have seen college and university campuses as an older person...and liberal climates.

It seems our "conversations" are getting more and more violent.  I think violence is a way to silence people, keep anyone from speaking, controlling the topic, etc.  I suppose it is Domestic Violence in community form.

Some of the examples in that DVD (I hope it isn't something I remember from one of the other videos I watched, but I don't think so because of the topic in my memory.) was the violent LGBT group forcing a college girl to make a statement from a paper on video.  The girl was frightened.  I hate to think what was done to make her do this.  It doesn't seem much different than a prisoner of war being forced to make a statement for publication to news agencies.

I would not call this winning anything.

We are becoming a police state, a dictatorship, a country ruled by violence.  All the damage that is done hurts all of us.  It costs money to repair.  Some of the damage can never be fixed.  People are hurt or killed.  None of this says we are a free country.

I wish I understood the motives behind all this force.  I don't think it is about LGBT rights.  I think it is something bigger, more hidden.  Young people are so easy to manipulate.  They don't have the ability to understand the deeper issues behind those "leading" them into actions they think are helping others.

I see the prophecies of the Bible becoming our reality.  

I cringe at all these issues because they say a lot about us, about where our nation is heading, about what the future will become.  Violence controls people.  Fear controls people. Freedom is about everyone's rights, not just those who use violence to force themselves on the rights of others.

I also think about all the strains our nation is under.  Economic pressures are making it hard to keep living as if we are the richest nation.  It is costing jobs, houses, cars, education, fun.  We are becoming afraid.  Fear doesn't create good solutions.

Saving America is on my mind too.  

I don't see many real solutions being created.  Actions that will keep us from bankruptcy.  We can't seem to find solutions that are for America - they are all about the political parties and what they want.

The government is looking for income.  Taxes, fees, tolls, fines, and whatever else it can get.  The government needs money to survive as much as we do, the people who pay the charges they create for us to help them survive.  I doubt Obamacare was about us.  It was a way to help reduce the medical costs the government might have to pay, and a way to move toward government control of medical services.

The Great Depression is all we have as a historical perspective of economic collapse.  I can't imagine living through that kind of event, especially now, in my senior years.  How can we find a way to avoid it?  Some say it's too late to fix this economic collapse.  What will we do then?  

Violence doesn't help.  People who are afraid try to find someone to blame and someone to fix the problem.  People who are afraid get violent - or are easier to move in that direction.  I don't want to live in the kind of country that I saw in SAFE SPACES.  How can we stop this way of "solving problems?"

PLEASE, let me know what you think is a better way.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.