17 August, 2017

17 August 2017

The first week is over... we made it!

*
Today I listened to most of the Georgene Rice show on KPDQ (.com), but one part especially caught my attention.  She was referring to the national debt.  The statement I remember is that the debt will rise to over 90 trillion in 30 years.  Also part of the presentation was the same old "blame the entitlement programs."  I don't remember if she was summarizing a book or person, or just relaying some of her combined research tidbits, but blaming entitlements is a raw place for my nerves.  There are so many areas of government that need whittling, changing, reorganizing, and eliminating, that blaming entitlements is a cop-out... an easy sound bite.

What can we do to reduce or eliminate the debt?  It is crushing everything the government supports.  The majority of taxes that are collected go to pay the interest on the debt... not good.  It's like the credit card situation in many families... the interest creates a bigger problem, and not making payments make it financially life-threatening.  Paying it off gets harder and harder.  What happens when the government can't operate?  Can we actually carry a 90 trillion dollar debt?  I don't think so.

You can see this is a hot-button for me... easy to push!  I have survived many times because of Welfare, WIC, Food Stamps, and Medicaid.  Now I am relying on the Social Security Retirement Benefits I paid into during my lifetime.  It is very frightening to be a senior citizen and think my small amount of benefits won't be available if the government doesn't fix its problems.

*
Today I also tried to make some small yellow plums from a tree at my son's house into something I could save by canning them.  I am not sure what I created... It may be good as an ice cream topping, or syrup, or for my smoothie efforts... I ended up with two jars saved and some to try out right away.  Nice taste.  Should be fun trying to make new food options with this.

*
The backsplash for my kitchenette is in place... I have to wait until next week for the grout to be done.  I have never been involved with backsplash creation before... interesting design item, I think.  Watching HGTV introduced me to the concept.  I think it will be nice.  I have to limit my waterplay until the grout gets done... maybe I should buy some paper plates and only eat sandwiches...   :-)

*
Friday is becoming my day of the week because I let myself eat food after 6pm on Fridays...  I am discovering this battle to eat every other night, and find myself overdoing it on Fridays just because I can!  Not sure that is achieving my real goal.  haha.  I don't know if I should just keep the same pattern every night.  I'll let you know.

*
One of my old friends has a new grandbaby tonight... today there was another terror attack with a car, killing so many innocent people.  Every day life begins and ends.  Some of us get to be happy, others must endure grief. 

*
*
*
Life is a challenge.  We may be at peace, we may be struggling, we may be filled with joy or we may be deep in a valley of pain... but life goes on.  We make it through... do our best... hide our hard parts and share our happiness.  Today is another day.  We made it through.  Tomorrow we will start over and make it through again.  I don't know what keeps other people going forward, but for me it is my faith in GOD and knowing He has a way to make today work for tomorrow... to turn it into something good, something better, something meaningful.  This faith has helped me survive in the past, and will help me survive tomorrow.

I hope you have someone like GOD to help you through your rough times.

In Christ,
Deborah Martin

::::::::::
May the GOD of this universe, the creator of all things, help us to rely on Him through all the days of our lives... good, bad, and ordinary.  May He watch over the new lives that have come, and surround the grieving with His angels, His love, His provisions for their difficult time.  May we find a way to make America solvent, to change our bad habits into good choices.  May we love the poor and suffering as we would like to be loved ourselves, and change our priorities to be less focused on the idea that we are losing something, more focused on the good we can do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.