03 September, 2021

FAITH FRIDAY :: Food and other things. ARTWORKS!

It has been another long week... I have been doing a lot of serious thinking, making some serious comments at social media and other places, and working on my PATREON posting efforts. I thought I had a new schedule that would work for the rest of the year, but I am trying to find a way to post all the same info one time and then the separate info to each tier.  I see two posts or an attachment for the solution so far.  :-)

We just have to keep looking until we find the way we need to go.

Today I harvested my two containers of potatoes.  :-)  That was a fun experience.  haha  I have finished cleaning up after the fun, and may be ready for winter weather already!

If you don't remember, I started a container of organic white potatoes first.  The green tops on that container died first, but it still had a little green growing so I wasn't sure if I should dump the thing and look for potatoes.  My son says they rot if you leave them in the soil after the tops have browned.  He had already harvested his, I waited a week more I think.  This was the first container I harvested this morning.

I don't have the photos on my computer yet, so I can't share them here.  I may try to do that later.  There were more very small potatoes in the white harvest.  I washed off about five or six of the largest in that bunch and lots of little black holes were all over them.  One had the black part going all the way into the potato.  (There was only one - largest - potato casualty when I dumped the container  :-)  I haven't checked the rest of the potatoes yet.

I have nothing to compare a harvest with, so I am just telling you what I found.

Later I went back and dumped the store-bought red potato container.  Lots more of the larger ones, less of the smaller ones.  I haven't cleaned these yet so I have no idea if they are edible - without lots of disease.

That's my first "successful" growing of potatoes.  I figure I will learn more and try another way to grow them next year.  :-)

I made my first fermented cabbage into a meal today.  It was pretty good!  I love kielbasa and sauerkraut with potatoes... so, you can guess, I used my new potato harvest to make some.  I recently fermented the cabbage (for about a week) with a brine recipe that uses 1 teaspoon kosher salt to each cup of water.  --  The brine formula seems to be important, so that is why I am sharing the one I finally used.  It is the easiest one I found.  --  With new potatoes and new fermented cabbage, I was ready to find out what it would taste like!  :-)

I was surprised at how good it tasted. Fermented cabbage doesn't have as much sour to it.  It cooked up great, didn't take long.  I will be trying more fermented foods over time.

Now I am trying to ferment some of the tomatoes I got at the Farmer's Market... they are like large cherry tomatoes.  I don't know what variety they are, but they are little round things about the size of a golf ball.  I watched a video by Pro Home Cook and he made them.  I didn't have enough to fill the jar I had, but I added some onions, too.  I am wondering how this will end up as tomatoes usually split with water.

How to use fermented foods is a challenge for me.  My son suggested the sauerkraut option.  I hadn't thought about it.  I was thinking sandwiches.  I don't know what the tomatoes will end up like so I am not sure what to do with them yet.  I have to find some other veggies to ferment.

Food.  We don't think about it until we don't have any.

I bought some lottery tickets because when I was at the store the reader said they were over 300 million dollars.  I haven't checked them yet, but if someone won from this area, I am sure I would have heard about it.  It's a divisive issue in the church.  Is it gambling if you just buy one ticket?  Is BINGO gambling?  For me, it's a search for funding for Working Together.  A big maybe, but still a possibility.  I haven't been able to raise even enough money for my own life with online efforts, and I would never qualify for a loan.  It seems like my only option.  So, I buy a ticket when the prize gets huge.  I figure it would have to be a miracle of GOD for me to win!  As far as I know, I'm still looking for funds.  :-)

I won't share the serious things I have been thinking about this week... maybe in the future.

I did spend HOURS trying to get my photo all downloaded to my computer so I can sort through them and see what I have, what I want to keep, what matters.  Here are a few before I go.

Have a great weekend.  May GOD be near the suffering, where ever they are, and may he bring the Body of Christ together to help and protect each other as our struggles increase.

These are some art I made a long time ago... maybe 2002, I'm not sure right now as I write this.     The photos are bad, but they have to do for now.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.