18 April, 2018

Wednesday, 18 April 2018

It's already nearing 11:30pm, but it is still Wednesday, so we will consider this my Wednesday post... however long it takes to write.  I already went to bed about 9 with a bad body and headache... then got up a bit ago to take some more aspirin.  I was standing too much today because I was putting together the computer tower system I got today, and trying it out.  It was a strain on my body.  I hope to recover by tomorrow.

I was delighted to see there was a keyboard and mouse with it.  The Wi-Fi is a small USB thing.  It works, kind of.  :-)  I don't want to attach to the "cloud" for everything, but there doesn't seem to be any choice.  It didn't connect to the router when I first tried it... later it did.  I wish I was a techy person... I'm just a tiny bit techy.

Tomorrow I have to move things around some more to get it all to fit.  In time, I will have the best options for me figured out.

My little room space is a mess!  I didn't do much else besides the computer tasks.  I will be catching up tomorrow.

The sun was out today, that was nice.  The dogs loved it, too.  :-)

On Wednesday's I am able to watch two shows on OPB, when I remember them.  I sometimes watch one called Start Up ( startup-usa.com ) and today they did a segment on the cupcake business that was on Shark Tank... nice.  The way they package their cupcakes in the canning jars is out!  :-)  I am sure it was the flavors that make them so hot, but copycats live for those things.  I thought it was great the way the whole concept started... Mom and daughter took a cake decorating class together.  Prior to that there was no thought of any kind of business... :-)  I was also interested to hear that it was about a year from the time they filmed their show on Shark Tank until it aired... so that was the time they "prepped" for a possible G.R.O.W.T.H. event... which did happen.  Starting with a $30K loan, they did pretty good... always in the profit amounts.  They did mention that they had to learn about cash flow issues when their resources got pretty low.

The second segment for that show was a local-focus art studio and gallery, which has been struggling to survive.  They were able to start with an SBA loan, but realized they should have asked for more... so that was their advice :: whatever you think you will need, DOUBLE IT!  :-)   Money is always an issue... for everything we do.  I did like the concept they had, though.  We have a local SCRAP program here in Portland, which would benefit by operating something similar.  During the program, the founder of the shop demonstrated making tiles with alcohol ink (like the cupcake founder demonstrated how to make a cupcake to send out).  I liked seeing the process.  I may try it to see if it is something I can incorporate into my artistic projects.

My main event (on OPB) on Wednesdays is to watch the crafting show that comes on after the Start Up program...the Beads, Baubles, and Jewels show.  It is one of the few crafting shows left, especially on Wednesdays.  Make It Artsy has a different flavor.  Beads shows how to make jewelry mostly... Artsy does all kinds of visual art forms.  Today the Bead show had a short display of tassel options by the hostess, and then two other segments by other creators.  One was about birthstone designs, the other was about liquid clay!  I never hear about these kinds of crafts unless I see them on shows like these or on YouTube videos.  Liquid clay is still polymer clay that gets baked... an important point to remember... but it creates a whole different design option.  I guess you have to buy it already liquid, but I did wonder what they use to make it thin... and if I could make my own.  :-)  The main idea with exploring these different craft options is that you can fit them into your own work someday... at least, that is my motivation.

I guess that's enough... it is almost midnight.  I'm going to try to post this before it becomes Thursday!  :-)

Until next time,
In Christ,

Deborah Martin
work2gather.us

*
*
*
May GOD help me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.