25 January, 2018

Thursday, 25 January 2018

Interesting day.  I re-watched some of the food documentaries on my Netflix list.  I originally just wanted to see one, In Defense of Food with Michael Pollan, but it really made me want to see two others -- so I did.  I watched Sugar Coated again. Then I watched Forks Over Knives again... to see what the details were again.  I am working out my plan to buy all the documentaries I want to have in my collection.  It has become one of my goals for this year.

I am trying to understand the meaning of "whole food, plant-based diet" because it was clarified from the simple "plant-based diet."  I think it means only real food that is in its original form... maybe.  I'm not sure where bread and pasta fit into that formula.  I can see produce as whole foods, but not sure of the rest.  It will be figured out eventually.

Right now, I am working on depleting my food reserves... trying to decide how I can live without butter on my popcorn and olive oil in my salad dressing.  I just don't know what the veterans of this lifestyle choice do for these issues in eating.  So, I am walking into more fruits and veggies, more grains, and less salt/sugar/and oil.

When I watch the films, I try to see what they serve.  Some things I can figure out, but others are strange.

I have to say that I was glad to understand the problem with margarine as a food option... I had watched one food documentary that made me think margarine was better than butter because of the saturated fat contents.  Today I discovered that margarine has an even deadlier fat issue in the process that makes it margarine... trans fat.  I have to admit I really don't understand all this stuff yet.  It takes time to wade through all the different viewpoints and decide what you want to do for your own life.

I think my "mantra" will remain :: reduce the amounts I consume.  I am trying to notice any changes in how I feel, etc.

One guy mentioned that dairy allergies cause lots of problems with ear/nose/throat issues... that is a problem area for me (ear, nose, and throat issues) so I am going to watch to see if my reductions in dairy make a difference or if I have to fully give them up.

I haven't had an egg for a long time.  It feels strange.  I am trying to decide about the baking problems that brings up... I have to make some cornbread one of these days, maybe tomorrow.  I found a great recipe in Laurel's Kitchen cookbook... no flour!!!!  I want to make it into a small loaf shape so I can cut slices that will be like sandwich bread or maybe english muffin and bagel shapes.  Small slices.  It helps me to eat less... I hope.  :-)

*
I did start working on my goals again... started making lists of what I need to do to make listings on my sales sites (etsy, ebay, fiverr, etc.).  I was surprised by the process.  I avoided making such a detailed list in the past... never really thought about all the steps as separate items.  Today I started figuring out how to make these steps fit into a weekly goal.  That seemed to change a lot.

I still have much more to do.  I am working on my photo guidelines for each selling site.  Taking photos is step one.  Then I have to edit them to the size each site requires.  In the process of getting them ready to upload, I need to work out a file naming template.  By next week, I should have this process figured out.

*
I am praying for GOD to do some changes around my life.
I hope my prayers get answered soon.

*
I discovered recently that a property I have been praying about is up for sale again.  I am not sure what is happening on the owner's end as the price has increased a lot.  I suppose GOD is big enough to handle that.  The owners are Christians, retiring or already retired, and have their own financial prayers for GOD to deal with.

I lived in Olney (Illinois) once.  Walmart decided to build there while I was there.  I had checked on property prices before they even thought of building there, and the costs were about $1000 and acre for farmland.  That price went up to $5000 and acre for Walmart.  It was quite a lesson for me on how people get.  (I suppose Amazon will have the same problem.  I guess the tax break is the only thing that makes up for this increase in costs.) 

Small towns suffer from the same issues that every community seems to suffer when Walmart comes to town (or a neighborhood).  I have called Walmart the "poor man's blessing" in the past... When finances are hard, poor families need to save as much money as they possibly can.  Walmart helps them do that.  Now, even Walmart is suffering from competition... places like the Dollar Stores and WinCo and other options.  You may want to think about the fact that thrift stores are also suffering because of the low-cost options now available to their customers.  I cringe every time I go to a thrift store these days... even when they are next door to Walmart and Dollar Tree, they charge huge amounts of money for some items that should be priced a LOT less.  If I didn't go to the sale day at Salvation Army, it would be hard to shop there.

I'm not sure it is any one person's fault, it is the way things are changing.  Automation is changing the job markets, the internet is changing the way we shop, education is moving online, and security problems are leading us right into the Mark of the Beast.  I don't know how we are going to deal with these issues as Christians... it will mean we have to change the way we act as churches and as the Body of Christ.  Many people will suffer before we figure that out.

*
I am really down low on my fresh food stores.  I have one squash left... and three limes.  :-)  This should be fun.  I see lots of cans, pasta, and other ideas for meals in my immediate future.  :-)

*
Well, that's enough for tonight.
Until next time...

In Christ,
Deborah Martin

*
*
*
May we all find a way to prepare for the future... as churches, as families, as communities.

May GOD help us to be wise with our resources, so we will have them for the future.

May we all study the Bible and look for GOD's Truth instead of what we want to find there.  :-)

May our lives be focused on what GOD has planned for each of us, and not be compared to the lives of others.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in this blog. Your participation in this discussion is welcome, but I would like to ask that you do so with respect toward me and toward the audience that would be reading it.

Please keep your comments focused on the blog entry... using clean language and a respectful tone. If you disagree with something, explain your view without resorting to profanity or abusive statements.

Discussions are important to understanding different viewpoints. I hope you will share yours and allow others the same privilege.